The Gutter Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eye Con (Orlando 2010)

3 posters

Go down

Eye Con (Orlando 2010) Empty Eye Con (Orlando 2010)

Post by Sam Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:46 pm

Hey guys, this is one you might not have heard of. Eye Con centers around a different show each year but for the past 2 it's been about True Blood. It definitely would have flown past my radar if it weren't for my lovely friend & sometimes roommate Lanzo. She is not a fan of True Blood but knew I was and sent me an email telling me about the con. I'll post my pix & one of the shortest con reports you'll ever read on here in a bit.

Eye Con (Orlando 2010) Untitled
http://eyeconfla.com

Last edited by Sam on Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added some crap)
Sam
Sam
Winchester

http://krisblis.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Eye Con (Orlando 2010) Empty Re: Eye Con (Orlando 2010)

Post by Sam Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:20 pm

Alrighty, here it is!

Saturday, 11/6/10-

Getting Started...

The alarm started screeching at 7:30am exactly. How terrible! But since I didn't know exactly where I was going today, I had to leave early. The con had already kicked off yesterday and would continue through Sunday, but I only had enough time, money & effort to make it today. Luckily, the only guests I was interested in seeing were doing their panels today! So I grabbed all my makeup, clothes & iPod, jumped in the car & headed off to Orlando.

I think it might have something to do with a hurricane down in the Caribbean, but it was terribly cold this morning. So cold in fact that I even had to put the heat on for the first 20 minutes of driving! Me! Putting the heat on! No, it's not the apocalypse, it was just really brisk. Munching on some leftover Arby's chicken fingers from the night before, I followed the directions I wrote down from the GPS in my phone. I love my EVO, but the battery drains like a motherfudger & I didn't want to get stuck out here with no phone (especially since my parents were coming back from a cruise today & I also had to work this evening).

As it turns out, I totally knew where this hotel was. It's attached to the Florida Mall, which I've been to several times! Oh well, at least that was easy. But now I was sitting in the pretty empty parking lot about 30 minutes before the con even opened up (and 90 minutes before the first panel I wanted to see)! Luckily I didn't put any makeup on before I left so I passed the time making myself gorgeous (stop laughing) until the con opened.

After my little day of beauty in the car I headed up to the front of the hotel. I had no idea how big this con was or how long it would take to get my tickets, so I headed in pretty much right after 10. Very nice looking hotel, nothing spectacular but nice enough. They really should invest in some 'You Are Here' maps though cuz I couldn't find shit walking around there! Luckily, they had this big banner for the con by the escalator. Seeing that, along with several people I would bet cash money on were True Blood fans, I rode the escalator up to the second floor.

Well, what a nice surprise! It seems like everything was going on right here! No gigantic massive crowds of gushing women, no celebrities being walked across the hall, just a bunch of civilized rational looking people walking around. And there was no wait for registration! I walked right up there & got my stuff!

After I put my little pin badge on, I got in a line. I asked the lady in front of me to be sure, but yes, this was the line for Joe "Alcide" Manganiello's Q&A that started at 11. I was actually pretty close to the front of the line, but knew that wouldn't make much difference because I had the lowly general admission ticket. They have special weekend passes where you're guaranteed the first few rows or something. Maybe next year, lol...

While waiting, I made some friends with the people around me. They were like me, all from around the general area. Come to think of it, I don't think I met anyone that lived outside of Florida there. But then again, I was only there for a few hours.

Sweet, we were finally going in!!! I expected to get delegated to one of the back rows but that's ok, I just wanted to be able to see and hear Adonis, err, Joe. But I was pleasantly surprised because the ballroom was much smaller than most of the ones I've been in and the seats were very close to the stage! I don't know how many rows back I was (maybe 6?) but I had some damn fine seats! And even more good news, we could stay here for the next Q&A! Score!!!

Gush Time...

They were running about 10 minutes behind, which seems to be the norm for things like this. This little guy came out on stage (I'm not kidding, he was crazy skinny & petite) & introduced himself as one of the people in charge of running the con. He joked about how some lady the night before was chatting with him & then he realized she thought he was Allan Hyde, the kid who plays Godric. I'm not gonna lie, if I had a couple drinks, I might have made the same mistake... from far away, lol! He also pointed out the head guy (who really reminded me of a younger Fisher Stevens) who also seemed very nice & accessible.

Ok, to the relevant stuff: they couldn't have picked a better guy to bring Joe to the stage. Joe's a big fella, I think like 6'5 and this shrimpy dude was probably about my height! Hilarious, wish I had gotten a pic of the two of them standing next to each other. Anyway, let's see, how to describe him... Physical perfection? Superlatively toned? You see where I'm going here, right? He looks exactly as impressive in person as he does on screen. I'm trying to think of who didn't catch me as much in person... probably the least was Jared Padalecki. Obviously nothing against him personally, just how stuff translates on screen, etc...

Wow, sorry, went off a bit there! Anyway, yes, Joe is flawless. I can't remember the order in which he said stuff, so I'll just bullet-point it for ya:
• Asked whether he was Team Bill or Team Eric in the beginning - He said Team Sookie then Team Alcide (which was met with some very thunderous applause)
• He was quite the jock back in the day & probably would have stayed that way except for a leg injury that made him think twice about it all.
• Initially was more into producing/directing
• Has a younger brother that is 2" taller than him. I repeat, 2 INCHES TALLER THAN HIM! Yeah, we all did that same gasp too, lol!
• Had to find out if he was getting the role of Alcide pretty quickly because he was being offered another episode or two on One Tree Hill.
• Originally auditioned for the role of Cooter (even though he really wanted Alcide) & it was the scene where they've got Bill in the back of the car & are drinking his blood & stuff. LAMO, I would love to see that audition tape...
• Charlaine Harris is right now working on the 11th book in the series.
• One of the things they were looking for when casting Alcide was someone who could go head to head with Alexander Skarsgard. That hasn't happened yet, but who knows...
• Denis O'Hare is just as awesome & funny off camera as he is on camera.
• Described Britt Morgan (the actress who plays Debbie Pelt) as a puppy, with the high energy, always running around & smashing into things and getting into mischief but still lovable.
• Received a stuffed animal version of the Winnie the Pooh character Eeyore from Anna Paquin because he said that originally he fashioned Alcide a bit like Eeyore. She bought it for him when her & Stephen went to Disneyland.
• Gary Oldman is an actor he'd really like to work with.
• When asked what directors he'd like to do a film with, the first person he said was Zack Snyder. It was kinda Weirdy McWeirderton because while we standing in line I was going on about how awesome a director he is & that he's doing the new Superman movie. I had to do a quick clap for that but felt a bit stupid cuz I was the only one, lol! He also said the usuals, like Scorsese, Nolan, etc.
• Discussed the 3 different types of clothing you can wear during a naked scene. Didn't particularly love doing the running through the woods one, but was okay with it.
• Is Italian, Armenian, something else, & German.
• Would like to see some kind of flashback scene on the show that shows Debbie & Alcide before they broke up & she was all into drugs (I second this!).
• Said the wolves were very impressive and just a slight bit intimidating.
• We definitely don't see eye to eye on music, lol! He prefers a lot of the early 90s grunge bands like Soundgarden, etc. Went & saw Massive Attack the other day & said it was great.
• Really really loved The Walking Dead premiere & cant' wait for the new episode tonight.

Alrighty, that's all I can remember right now. I have to go do something but then I'll come back & finish this.
Sam
Sam
Winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:47 pm

Oh shoot, I didn't finish this! Don't worry ladies, just gotta finish some homework then I'll be back on to complete it. Know you're all biting at the bit...
LMAO
Sam
Sam
Winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:21 am

OMG I never knew you were going to the con.

Sounds like it was good fun, the smaller cons can be as less screaming fan girls etc.

• One of the things they were looking for when casting Alcide was someone who could go head to head with Alexander Skarsgard. - OMG I want that t happen!

Great report thanks Buzz

VanaBanana
Dean
Dean
Winchester

http://vana1970.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:01 am

Completely honest, I did not know I was going until about 2 days beforehand. It was a real heat of the moment kind of thing. I even had to go to work that night, lol!

Anyway... onto the rest!

• Said he really loves his fans (altogether now, "AWWW!!!")
• Has started the audition process for Superman (take that however you will...)

Alrighty, that's about it. The little man came on about 60 minutes later to whisk Joe away & introduce the next guest. Yup, no bathroom breaks this con! LOL, glad I went beforehand... Everyone clapped & stuff when Joe left. The lady next to me even stood up & applauded like we at the Met or something! But I guess I shouldn't really be surprised since this was the same woman who showed me her 'bottle of True Blood' tattoo on her forearm while in line... Yes, you read that right. I even asked if it was permanent, lol!

Godric Gryffindor...

J/K, I know that's not his name but that's the first thing I think of whenever I hear the name 'Godric'. I'm a nerdy Muggle, aren't I?
Teehee
Ok, before I float off into dweeby infinity, let me talk a bit about little Mr. Allan Hyde. Ok, the boy is so friggin adorable! And yes, he IS a boy! He even said it at some point, he's 20 years old! Sheesh, I knew he was young but he can't even legally buy a drink. LOL, so back when they were shooting all those scenes he was like, a teenager! Ah, funny stuff...

Allan jumped up on stage when the announcer called him. It was cute (even though I think it might have been staged) because they both were wearing a grey T-shirt with black skinny (EWW!) jeans. Everyone laughed cuz they really did look like twins.

DAMMIT, ok, I need to drive home now. I promise I will finish though. & because you're such a fabulous audience, I'll even throw in a few pix!
Sam
Sam
Winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:13 am

LOL a tattoo, I'd never be that much of a fan to anyone.

Yes please want to see some pictures, especially of baby Godric.

Dean
Dean
Winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:00 pm

Alright, I promise I really am going to finish this as soon as possible! So dang busy lately!! Anyway, just so you don't think I'm blowing smoke up your ass or anything, here's the pix I took during Joe's panel...

Eye Con (Orlando 2010) IMAG0136

Eye Con (Orlando 2010) IMAG0135

This one was at the end when he got up to sign the banner. You can kinda see how small the other guy was.
Eye Con (Orlando 2010) IMAG0138
Sam
Sam
Winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:58 pm

Alright, let's try to remember some of what Allan said...
• He's Danish
• He's got some busted car that keeps breaking down on him
• Blushes when he gets embarrass (I know this b/c there were 2 times when he said something in, just not exactly the correct wording, & made whatever he actually said sound very naughty. Sadly, I don't remember what it was he said, but I'm pretty sure both times it had to do with him & Alexander/Eric)
• He really likes traveling in his time off
• As of now, there's no plans to bring Godric back but who knows? Allan would love to play him again
• I can't remember if it was his uncle or godfather, but one of his relatives was there with him. He made him stand up & everyone clapped for him
• Doesn't speak Swedish at all. Had to have Alexander record himself saying his Swedish lines (in the show) & send the audio tracks to Allan to memorize. (Alexander is so helpful! I remember at one of the Dragon*Con panels Kristin Bauer/Pam said Alexander did the same thing for her.)
• According to people he knows who speak Swedish, he doesn't sound all that awesome while speaking it, lol!

Alrighty, that's most of what I can remember. He takes a long time telling stories but is so cute about it. Like when he was blushing and when he'd catch himself going way off topic and/or forgetting where he was going with one of his stories... just too adorable!

Eye Con (Orlando 2010) IMAG0141

Eye Con (Orlando 2010) IMAG0140

Hit the Showers...

Not really, but finally, we were able to go take a bathroom break after the panels! It had to be quick though, cuz the photo ops were starting up as we were exiting the ballroom. Sheesh, there's no slacking time at this con!

After a quick glance in the mirror (How come nobody told me my hair was sticking out like that?!?!), I got in line for the my photo op with Joe. It was so funny, there was a group of three girls behind me (not teens but a little younger than me I think) who were getting really nervous & excited about seeing Joe up close. I laughed at the one girl & she asked if I was nervous. I told her a little but it gets real bad right beforehand. I also told them the whole encounter is extremely fast and, with perfect timing, one of the con staffers went through the line telling us all that the photo ops are very quick. Then the girls started rehearsing what they were gonna say & asked for my input. I told them my con rule, to just wing it, because they'll probably forget everything once they get up anyway.

Hurry Up & Wait...

For having oodles of psyched women standing around, the line moved pretty quickly. The way the line was, you couldn't see into the actual photo part of the room until you were next in line. I peeked around the corner and BAM, he's right there taking photos with people! A staffer stood there & took my belongings so you wouldn't see my sunglasses & keys in my pic. I had to wait a few extra seconds cuz the women that had the photo before me wouldn't shut up & leave. Finally, after one of the staffers motioned (politely yet firmly) for them to leave, I got to stand next to Joe. Cripes, is he gigantic or what? I mean, Jason Momoa is the same height (give or take an inch) but I never felt as completely dwarfed by somebody as I did right now. I think this is mainly due to Joe's physique & big broad shoulders but still... I really had to physically look up to talk to him.

I'd like to tell you that I was very witty & clever in my interactions with Joe but that would be a bit of a fib. I'm pretty confident that I came across as laid back & non-psycho, although I don't remember exactly what I said. I do remember that he said Hello, Bye, & Thank you and also looked you straight in the eye when he spoke, which was pure heaven. It also made me realize that he could easily be extremely intimidating, if the situation called for it. Like, I think if he yelled at me, I'd immediately start crying, regardless of whether or not I was in the wrong. LMAO, the quirky & random things that can float through your brain in just a few seconds...

See? He's a friggin whole foot taller than me! I hope he never ever dyes his hair either! I love the little sprinkle of grey he's got in there.
Eye Con (Orlando 2010) Untitled-3copy
Sam
Sam
Winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:25 pm

And just like that, my werewolf encounter was over. I didn't buy any autographs, so that's the one & only time I ever interacted with Joe. It was great, fast but great!

Photo with the Little Guy...

I walked back into the main hall area to find the crowd much bigger than it was before. The reason was because they were doing all the photo ops now, even the group ones! So I hopped back into line, but this time for little Godric.

I was towards the end of the line this time, so I had a chance to breathe & compose myself after touching Joe. And before you ask, no, there was no groping, I just ever so slightly ran my hand down the small of his back. You know, during those couple of seconds when you situate yourself with the person you're about to take a picture with... Don't look at me like that, he did the same! I just might have enjoyed mine a bit more than he did.
Teehee

Anyway, when I was about 5 or so people back, the shrimpy staffer from the panels hopped in line. He bought a shirt that looked exactly like the one Allan had on (Allan had changed out of his grey T-shirt & into this red Adidas, I'm guessing something related to a sports team, shirt). I personally thought the whole twin gag was now dangerously close to running into 'whipping a dead horse' territory, but Allan seemed to get a kick out of it. I, along with everyone around me, peered in & watched them take their photo together.

Yea, my turn finally! Ok, remember how humongous I said Joe was? Well, Allan's the complete polar opposite! I think I could even take him in a fight... well, maybe at least hold my own for a few minutes! LMAO!!! Again, I don't remember exactly what our interaction consisted of, but it wasn't anything out of the norm. This kid is just so dang adroable and smiley! Even though I was in a great mood, I felt like it had somehow been kicked up a level or two just by standing next to him.

Doesn't he look different than Godric? I showed Dame the pic later & she had to do a double take, lol!
Eye Con (Orlando 2010) Untitled-1copy

Eye Con (Orlando 2010) Godric]
Sam
Sam
Winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:50 pm

YAY updates and pictures.

I think everyone looks tiny next to Joe the guy is huge! Very sexy too and yes a slightly sprinkle of grey is distinguished. My that photo of you really captured you there, I'd know that was you anywhere, lol. Kidding I know. Allan looks tiny and young although that hairdo and tash don't do the guy any favours. I bet he felt dwarfed by Alexander.

It does sound like you had a great day, wish I could've come with you. Thank you for telling me about your day and sharing your photographs Hug

Dean
Dean
Winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:54 pm

No prob! It woulda been awesome if you were there. One of these years, we gotta go to one of these things together...

LOL, we say 'stash' over here, so when you said tash, I had to scroll up & look at the pic, seeing if I was missing something. I'll send you a link of the unedited pix, just didn't want my face all up on here!

I've got one or two little tidbits that happened afterwards which I'll put up in a bit but that's the bulk of what happened.
Sam
Sam
Winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:29 am

Lol stash is slang for something hidden here.
Dean
Dean
Winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:42 am

Yeah, it is here too. It's normally typed stache, but pronounced stash. I just typed it that way so you'd know what I was talking about.
Sam
Sam
Winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:58 am

Ahh right.
Dean
Dean
Winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:05 pm

Well, just for ha-ha's I went on the Eyecon site a minute ago, They are having another con this year but it's for The Vampire Diaries.

Is that crickets I hear? LOL!
Sam
Sam
Winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:14 pm

I'm assuming you won't be going? I don't watch it but it's for teens right?
Dean
Dean
Winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:18 pm

LOL, no, not this year. A friend of mine watches it and I had to watch an episode. It's not terrible but once again, the lead girl comes off weak and damsel in distressy. And you know what, I just like my vampires R-rated and that's that!
Wink
Sam
Sam
Winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:17 am

I know it seemed women in tv and films fought to get decent characters became strong and capable then the last few years they've gone back about 30 years.
Dean
Dean
Winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:22 am

I know right!!! Cant stand that crap...

Evil or Very Mad
Sam
Sam
Winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:38 am

Buffy would beat the crap out of those girls.
Dean
Dean
Winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:40 am

Buffy was awesome but she was still sexy & had her romance going on.
Sam
Sam
Winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:50 am

Yep multi tasking with attitude.
Dean
Dean
Winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by Cougarbelle Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:21 am

I have a friend who is in love with ?Damion?. Why have I not seen this before? I had no idea all of this ever occurred? Oh yeah!! It happen when I was disappearedededed. Joe looks amazing, and I never realized you had a heart-shaped face before. Godric looks nothing like the person who plays him.
Cougarbelle
Cougarbelle
Fangtasia Dancer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down